20130306

042 - The answer to life, the universe, and everything

Where's Dim Sum? #042 - The answer to life, the universe, and everything


Dim Sum curses the dolphins for stealing all the fish. She notices a mouse, however, and steps on its tail, just before some guy comes along frantically looking for his towel.


The top item in the search list for Douglas Adams in SL returns this combat RP sim, which is supposed to be a small planet near the red giant star Betelgeuse. The landing area looked like a typical sci-fi setting, which was kinda boring. After reading the rules and grabbing the visitor tag, I took the teleport to some place with a fancy sounding name, and ... o ... m ... g ....

This place is definitely not boring.

I recognized the handiwork. Most of the objects, the structure, the trees, the out-of-this-world floating island-plant-vine-jewel-thingies, and the bridges were created by Elicio Ember.

Ember Farina introduced me to Elicio's work when she showed me the mer sim for the Fantasy Faire in March 2011. Then I went and bought half his store. Actually, more than half. Then I asked him to marry me. Well, he didn't, but he gave me a couple of gifts to thank me for my shopping spree.

location: Betelgeuse 5


Technical notes

windlight: Pirate (modified)
water: Default

Depth of Field:
View angle: 0.75
FOV: 22.4
F-number: 2.54
Foc Length: 285
Foc Time: 0.8
CoC: 10.0
Resolution: 1.0
Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Glow Settings:
Quality: 8
Iterations: 10
Strength: 0.2
Luminance: 0.75
Warmth: 5.0
Width: 1.0
Alpha: 0.15

The challenge was to tweak the windlight so it would look like it's a planet near a red giant star, without burning your eyes with too much red, while using shadows to emphasize the sculpted decorative motif near the roof of the structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

370 - Eggs and bunnies and peeps (360°)

Dim Sum joins the peeps who wanna be bunnies. At least for Easter. For non-US folks, "peeps" are marshmallow candies shaped l...